I've had this chowder recipe for 30 years, and the whole family really enjoys its cheesy corn taste. It makes a big pot—enough for seconds! —Lola Comer, Marysville, Washington
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) gold and white corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Cheesy Corn Chowder in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p37
Reviews for Cheesy Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review