Zippy Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Stir in jalapeno, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add corn, green onions and 2-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil.
- Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 13, 2017
Soon good!! Been making for years. Every one loves it!!
Sep 13, 2017
I omitted the heat due to preference. Still enjoyed by hubby. Would add cubed ham next time.
Sep 10, 2011
One of our favorites. Quick go to recipe with a little kick. I've added left over cooked chicken to make it a full meal.
Apr 7, 2011
One of my all-time favorites and I've made it countless times since it was published in Quick Cooking in 2000!
Sep 30, 2010
Delicious. I made several modifications: I left out the flour and instead mashed up the potatoes after boiling to thicken the soup slightly. I also added 1 lb chopped chicken breast that I had sauteed in a pan with olive oil to make it a bit heartier. YUM!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.