- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 ounces plain or Mexican process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add soup, garlic salt, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the top third off the bread. Hollow out bottom half of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread butter on cut side of bread. Place loaf on an ungreased baking sheet and broil 4-in. from the heat until lightly browned.
- Spoon beef mixture into shell; arrange cheese slices on top. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheeseburger Loaf
"I first came across this recipe in an old TOH magazine from my grandmother. Since then, I've varied the recipe and my family requests this frequently. I only use about 3/4 of the can of tomato soup and then add 1/4 cup bbq sauce. Add some chopped red bell pepper for sweetness and it is amazing!"
"Such a great recipe! I left the top of the loaf off and just served this open faced - everyone in my family loved it! This is certainly a keeper!"
"I made this tonight and it turned out OK. My spouse and I agreed that 8oz of cheese was way too much as it overwhelmed the flavors of the dish. I would cut the amount to cheese to half and add more onion. I think I would also try it with ketchup next time instead of soup, as it turned out sweeter than I would prefer. Or use a half can of soup plus some ketchup. I would also try the mini-french loaves so it would be easier for each person to pick up without the insides oozing out- the middle slices, that is."
"I made this and my three boys and husband LOVED it. It was easy and delicious. I even used the bread that I cut out to make croutons for another dish."