- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 ounces plain or Mexican process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add soup, garlic salt, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the top third off the bread. Hollow out bottom half of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread butter on cut side of bread. Place loaf on an ungreased baking sheet and broil 4-in. from the heat until lightly browned.
- Spoon beef mixture into shell; arrange cheese slices on top. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheeseburger Loaf(4)
Sort By :
I first came across this recipe in an old TOH magazine from my grandmother. Since then, I've varied the recipe and my family requests this frequently. I only use about 3/4 of the can of tomato soup and then add 1/4 cup bbq sauce. Add some chopped red bell pepper for sweetness and it is amazing!
Such a great recipe! I left the top of the loaf off and just served this open faced - everyone in my family loved it! This is certainly a keeper!
I made this tonight and it turned out OK. My spouse and I agreed that 8oz of cheese was way too much as it overwhelmed the flavors of the dish. I would cut the amount to cheese to half and add more onion. I think I would also try it with ketchup next time instead of soup, as it turned out sweeter than I would prefer. Or use a half can of soup plus some ketchup. I would also try the mini-french loaves so it would be easier for each person to pick up without the insides oozing out- the middle slices, that is.
I made this and my three boys and husband LOVED it. It was easy and delicious. I even used the bread that I cut out to make croutons for another dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Burger Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheeseburgers >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Burger Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >