Cheddar Potato Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Potato Chowder
Sort By :
Quick and delicious! Used Idaho potatoes instead of red. Also added a couple cups of broccoli. Made the chowder in the afternoon and kept it in the crockpot until dinner. Whole family loved it.
I combined the cheese sauce of this recipe with the vegetable combination from a TOH vegetable chowder for a wonderful low calorie vegetable chowder!
I've made this soup since it was originally published in 2004. It is incredible, and very filling. Perfect for cold MI winters! I substitute cooked diced bacon for the ham. Regular Idaho potatoes work just as well.
There were no stars, so couldn't give it a good rating. Hearts1-if you used Fat Free cheese instead of 2%, it doesn't melt & incorporate well. I often use 2% or FF evaporated milk which gives a nice creaminess with lower fat & calories. Try FF Half'n'Half, too-although I don't always care for it.
I made this over the weekend. It was excellent! I used evaporated milk in place of 2% milk since we were low on milk at the time... turned out great. I served the soup with garlic breadsticks! This recipe is going in my "save" folder. Thanks!!
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >