- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Potato Chowder
"Very easy to make and it's delicious and very warming on a cold day. Will be making this often."
"Hearty and yummy... Great way to use up left over ham...Definitely a hit..."
"This recipe is definitely a keeper. I did use chicken broth instead (low sodium) and regular potatoes peeled but everything else the same. It was awesome. Even better the next day. My children even loved it which is amazing. Thank you for sharing!"
"Very good! I didn't have 2% milk, and I barely had 1%, either, so I'll share how I made it so maybe it will help someone else. I sauteed the carrots, celery, and onion in 1 Tbsp butter before adding the potatoes and water. I used 1/2 c of 1% milk, and 1 1/2 c fat free milk, since that's what I had on hand. I was very careful to stir often and only added a little bit of cheese at a time so it wouldn't curdle. I used 1 c of shredded cheddar, and 4 slices of organic American cheese slices, broken into pieces. And I used ham lunchmeat that I just cut into bite size pieces. My family loved it, and they asked for me to add it to our regular menus. Great recipe. Thank you for submitting it! I served it with Crusty dinner Biscuits (another excellent recipe) and iced tea."
"I made this for dinner tonight. It was quite good, but I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, and 1 tsp garlic powder to make it delicious! :)"
"This was well loved by my friends! I loved that it is low calorie, and it really hit the spot!"
"I combined the cheese sauce of this recipe with the vegetable combination from a TOH vegetable chowder for a wonderful low calorie vegetable chowder!"