Cheddar Potato Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Potato Chowder
Sort By :
"I made this for dinner tonight. It was quite good, but I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, and 1 tsp garlic powder to make it delicious! :)"
"This was well loved by my friends! I loved that it is low calorie, and it really hit the spot!"
"Quick and delicious! Used Idaho potatoes instead of red. Also added a couple cups of broccoli. Made the chowder in the afternoon and kept it in the crockpot until dinner. Whole family loved it."
"I combined the cheese sauce of this recipe with the vegetable combination from a TOH vegetable chowder for a wonderful low calorie vegetable chowder!"
"I've made this soup since it was originally published in 2004. It is incredible, and very filling. Perfect for cold MI winters! I substitute cooked diced bacon for the ham. Regular Idaho potatoes work just as well."