Cheddar Potato Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Potato Chowder(9)
Sort By :
There were no stars, so couldn't give it a good rating. Hearts1-if you used Fat Free cheese instead of 2%, it doesn't melt & incorporate well. I often use 2% or FF evaporated milk which gives a nice creaminess with lower fat & calories. Try FF Half'n'Half, too-although I don't always care for it.
I made this over the weekend. It was excellent! I used evaporated milk in place of 2% milk since we were low on milk at the time... turned out great. I served the soup with garlic breadsticks! This recipe is going in my "save" folder. Thanks!!
I have made this many times and always pleasantly surprises me how good it is.
We loved this chowder!! Didn't change a thing, didn't need to. Deliciouss and easy to make. My family loved it. Will make it again and again. It's now in my printed reciped book of favorites. Thanks for posting it.
Very good! even when made with 1% milk. Great recipe
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >