Cheddar Cheese Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheddar Cheese Potato Soup
Sort By :
"I made a lot substitutions since I didn't have time to run to the grocery store. I also added some carrots. Instead of water and bouillon cubes, I just boiled the potatoes in 3 cups of chicken broth. Also, instead of 3 cups milk I used heavy whipping cream. I only had 4 oz of cheddar cheese left so for the other 12 oz I used velveeta. It's a delicious soup, perfectly rich and creamy. Enjoy!"
"Great tasting soup, my husband is a picky eater and he loved it!. But, it does not make 10-12 servings....not unless 1/2 cup is a serving!!! This one is a keeper recipe."
"This recipe is really quick and easy, and my whole family loves it. My in-laws always ask me to make it for fall. I make this soup all the time and it's always a hit."
"i made this it was very good i had left over ham i used instead of bacon will make again all my kids loved it!!"
"Quick, simple and really good. Even my picky husband and daughter liked it."