- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheddar Cheese Potato Soup
"I love this soup. I'm sure it's not particular healthy with the milk and cheese involved, however I add a lot of vegetables so it has more of a consistency of a stew rather than a soup. All in all, if you take out the vegetables and add something like only carrots and broccoli, this soup would be amazing as well. I also substituted the bacon with ham, and it works great as the ham doesn't get soggy like the bacon does if you leave it in.I love this soup!!"
"This was a delicious soup. I added ham chunks instead of bacon. My husband and I really enjoyed it."
"I feed a few vegetarians so I eliminated the bacon and the chicken bouillon and used vegetable broth instead of water. It was still very flavorful!"
"I love this recipe! The only thing I did differently was add broccoli and leave out the celery. It cooks up easy and is so delicious!!"
"This soup is amazing and sooooo easy to make! My mom and I make it pretty frequently because we love it so much. This is definitely going to become a recipe that ill use forever"