Cheddar-Almond Lettuce Salad Recipe
Sugared almonds and a honey-mustard dressing make this salad a real standout. In fact, I keep slivered almonds in my freezer just so I can whip it up for those spur-of-the-moment special occasions! For more nutrition, color or variety, I sometimes add broccoli and tomatoes. --Julia Musser, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- HONEY-MUSTARD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- In a small heavy skillet, combine almonds and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until nuts are coated and golden. Spread onto foil to cool. Divide romaine among salad plates; top with eggs and cheese.
- In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, onion powder, celery seed, mustard, paprika and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over salads; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar-Almond Lettuce Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2006, p35
Reviews for Cheddar-Almond Lettuce Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2013
"This was a great salad!"
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2012
"I made this salad for a family dinner and everyone loved it."
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2012
"Great salad, but I found the dressing abit too tangy for my taste."
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2011
"Great Salad! Dressing even keeps for about 1 week in the fridge."