- 6 cedar grilling planks
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- Soak planks in water at least 1 hour. In a large skillet, cook chorizo and bacon over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until chorizo is fully cooked and bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add pepper and onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, pepper flakes and cayenne; cook 30 seconds longer. In a large bowl, combine meat mixture, vegetable mixture and cheese; set aside.
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills. Fill caps with meat mixture.
- Place planks on grill rack over direct medium heat. Cover and heat 3-4 minutes or until light to medium smoke comes from the plank and the wood begins to crackle. (This indicates the plank is ready.) Turn planks over; place mushroom caps on planks. Grill, covered, over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms in Grill It Bookazine 2016, pn
Reviews for Cedar-Plank Stuffed Portobellos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review