Cedar Plank Scallops
The fishmonger at our local farmers market inspired me to try my hand at scallops cooked on a cedar plank. After a little experimenting, I was proud to serve this dish to friends. —Robert Halpert, Newburyport, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Grill: 15 min.
- 2 cedar grilling planks
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 12 sea scallops (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- Soak planks in water at least 1 hour. In a large bowl, whisk wine, oil, basil, thyme and lime juice. Add scallops; gently toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Place planks on grill rack over direct medium heat. Cover and heat 4-5 minutes or until light to medium smoke comes from the plank and the wood begins to crackle. (This indicates the plank is ready.) Turn plank over and place on indirect heat. Drain scallops, discarding marinade. Place scallops on plank. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 10-12 minutes or until firm and opaque.