Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked angel hair pasta
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with onion mixture.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, and pepper; heat through. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta(24)
Sort By :
This is one of my families favorites and requested often. I love the combination of flavors and that it is easier to reduce or increase the amount depending on the size of the crowd being served. I personally use only 1 tbsp. of olive oil because other wise it feels to greasy to me, but other than that I leave everything the same. This one is worth trying and making!
Very tasty recipe, but as other reviewers have noted, I would also reduce the balsamic vinegar. To add another flavor element I would add 1 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce, increase the red pepper to 1/2 teaspoon, the black pepper to 3/4 teaspoon, and add a bit of grated lemon zest to brighten things a bit. I used whole grain thin spaghetti, which worked well, but would reduce to 10 ounces for a saucier dish. Overall a great recipe & a keeper. Thanks!
Basic pasta recipe. Very good, but similar to many others we have tried.
Easy to make and tasty.
Amazing!!!! my husband couldnt get enough and my 3 yr old even ate it :) will be making again for sure.