Garlic Broccoli Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place broccoli in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in oil until tender. Drain pasta; add to saucepan and toss to coat. Add the broccoli, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 13, 2012
Although I have not made this particular recipe it is very similar to a dish my Italian grandmother used to make. I have made her version many times and also throw the broccoli in the pot with the pasta at the end. She always used spaghetti pasta instead of tube pasta so that works well, too. I use grated parmesan or a parmesan-romano blend (just regular off the supermarket shelf, nothing fancy). If blandness is a problem use lots of freshly ground black pepper or even crushed red pepper flakes. A little anchovy paste or finely chopped oil-packed anchovies would boost the flavor as well, but then the children might not like it as much. Separate some out for them first.
Jul 8, 2011
My husband and I both thought this was very good. I did find it a bit bland at first though. I made some changes and then it was really good. I microwaved a small amount of low fat cream cheese and milk and added it to make the pasta creamy. I also added some italian seasoning to give it more flavor. Oh, and I used bow tie pasta, because that's all I had on hand.
Mar 23, 2010
I loved this dish. I also saved a pot and cooked the broccoli for the last 5 min. in the pasta pot.
Feb 17, 2010
Boring, not much flavor.
Jul 6, 2008
I saved a pot and threw the broccoli in with the pasta for the last five minutes of cooking! I also went a little heavier on the parmesan cheese and added some crushed red pepper. I'll make this again. It couldn't be easier :)
Jun 29, 2008
Works for me! Nice to see kids that age enjoying healthy food, too.For those concerned about the garlic, just use a little less and/or add a little fresh parsley (counters garlic breath and helps digestion).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.