Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked angel hair pasta
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with onion mixture.
- 3. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, and pepper; heat through. Garnish with basil if desired.
1-1/2 cups: 574 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Oct 21, 2016
Loved this! Great use of my summer cherry tomatoes.
Feb 28, 2015
Delicious. Added some roasted cubed chicken to make it a meal.
Aug 13, 2014
Love this recipe for a change of pace. Can be used as main dish (meatless or add chicken), or as a side. Family does not like cherry tomatoes, so I left them out. This is requested often!
Dec 31, 1969
Flavors of this dish are mmmm.....mmmmm.....good. Worth the trip back to the store to get the forgotten garlic. No balsamic vinegar on hand so I used seasoned rice vinegar.
Dec 31, 1969
This recipe is great! Even my picky nephew who doesn't like pasta ate it. I didn't change anything.
Jul 25, 2013
This is one of my families favorites and requested often. I love the combination of flavors and that it is easier to reduce or increase the amount depending on the size of the crowd being served. I personally use only 1 tbsp. of olive oil because other wise it feels to greasy to me, but other than that I leave everything the same. This one is worth trying and making!
May 19, 2013
Very tasty recipe, but as other reviewers have noted, I would also reduce the balsamic vinegar. To add another flavor element I would add 1 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce, increase the red pepper to 1/2 teaspoon, the black pepper to 3/4 teaspoon, and add a bit of grated lemon zest to brighten things a bit. I used whole grain thin spaghetti, which worked well, but would reduce to 10 ounces for a saucier dish. Overall a great recipe & a keeper. Thanks!
Apr 10, 2012
Basic pasta recipe. Very good, but similar to many others we have tried.
Apr 2, 2012
Easy to make and tasty.
Jan 6, 2012
Amazing!!!! my husband couldnt get enough and my 3 yr old even ate it :) will be making again for sure.