This full-flavored recipe is the result of my mom's love of pasta and our love of cooking together. With a bit of pepper heat and smoky bacon, the entree is excellent alone or paired with grilled chicken. —Lacy Jo Matheson, Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked angel hair pasta
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the onions, pepper flakes and salt; saute until onions are tender. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with onion mixture.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, and pepper; heat through. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta in Taste of Home November 2011, p39
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Caramelized Onion & Garlic Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review