Caramel Apple Bites Recipe
- 1/3 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- Green toothpicks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk until caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Bites
Sort By :
"A great waste of time and money. I've read some of the reviews, so maybe the filling should have cooked longer to make it thicker, but there really was no guidance on the recipe. 1/3 cup of apple in a 1/4 teaspoon -- one tiny little piece, and it was almost impossible to re-form the ball with even that tad bit of filling inside. You would not even know there were apples in there. This is definitely not a keeper. Sorry. Looked great on paper and in photo, but very, very disappointed. P.S. - Way too many walnuts -- and I love walnuts."
"These were a hit. I followed the recipe exactly and each step turned out as the recipe described. The cookie was the PERFECT consistency. The only change I will make next time is omitting the walnuts from the topping; unless I said it, no one knew there was apple."
"This was a homerun! I followed the directions exactly and they came out great. Not only did the people at my party love them, but I took them to work for a potluck and they didn't even make it to the end of the potluck before they were all devoured. I love that the cookie isn't too sweet. It's a perfect balance and a great caramel apple taste without losing your teeth to an apple."
"If I could rate this a 0 I would. It was a miserable fail. For so many reasons. I read the comments in advance...made the adjustments I thought were necessary and the final product was still horrible. The filling took 30 minutes to reduce to the right consistency. The caramels took forever to melt on the stovetop, and the final carmel sauce was still too runny to adhere to the "cookie." The cookie itself was bland tasting and never fully retained it's "ball" shape so the final product looked like a squished mess. What a waste of $$ and time."
"These are fantastic. I think the only thing that was a pain was the toothpicks they kept slipping off I think i will try party sticks next time."