Caramel Apple Crunch
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 33 caramels, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place the apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a heavy saucepan, melt 25 caramels with 2 tablespoons milk, stirring often; drizzle over apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, salt and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt remaining caramels with remaining milk, stirring often until smooth. Drizzle over dessert and ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 261 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 16, 2015
I have to assume this was yummy because nobody left me any !!!
Feb 18, 2014
I prepared this recipe 2/18/14 for the first time and I did adjust the recipe! I used a total of 40 caramels, DIVIDED & a total of 1/2 cup of milk, DIVIDED. 25 caramels were used to drizzle over the apples with 1/4 cup milk & melted in a quart heavy saucepan, stirring until smooth, yet making sure that caramel mixture wasn't runny! I greased and floured 13x9x2" baking pan. I prepared the apples and placed in prepared pan. I used 3/4 cup chopped pecans and I used 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. The flour, oats and packed brown sugar amounts I kept the same-also the salt I kept as is! I drizzled the melted 25 caramels/milk over the sliced apples and prepared the crumb topping & cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembled coarse crumbs. These were sprinkled over the apples. I baked 45 minutes at 375o F. I prepared the 15 remaining caramels with the remaining milk and again, made sure to see that mixture was not runny, but smooth and spreadable. I did let the dessert cool 10 minutes, then I drizzled the remaining caramel mixture over the crumb topping. I was pleased with my first try at the recipe-I used it for this week's Theme Challenge on "Cook's Corner" for Caramel. Thank you, Melissa Williams, for sharing your recipe! delowenstein
Sep 2, 2012
Used old fashioned oats in place of the quick oats as they give baked goods a chewier texture. Increased the cinnamon to 1/2 teaspoon. Served to guests along with vanilla ice cream & everyone thought it was delicious!
Nov 8, 2011
I was short on time so I substituted a jar of carmel sauce for the melted carmels, and it worked wonders.
Aug 3, 2009
Boy, I can't wait to try this!Going to run out and get some apples/caramels! Would be great for a pot luck dinner! Thanks for sharing!