Gingerbread Caramel Crunch
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 14 cups air-popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place popcorn in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; set aside. Butter the sides of a small heavy saucepan; add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, molasses, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to 2 greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 167 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 17, 2015
Excellent, made as recipe directed. I made another batch as my hubby made plenty of popcorn. Will definitely make again.
Dec 5, 2013
Added a 1/4 t. clove, otherwise, made by the reicpe. Usually make Courtside Caramel Corn reicpe (which I LOVE!) but this was also excellent!
Jan 26, 2012
Good! Had to use honey instead of corn syrup since I didn't have any syrup on hand. Might used another reviewers suggestion and add cloves next time. Reminded me of Cracker Jack!
Mar 20, 2011
We loved it! Great flavor and crunch! The time is worth it.
Feb 4, 2011
Make this even easier by using a microwaveable container. Just put all ingredients (except popcorn, soda and vanilla)into the bowl and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Stir. Microwave 2 more minutes then add your soda and vanilla. At this point I also add in toasted, chopped pecans.
Dec 29, 2010
This tastes great, but I did make some modifications after tasting the coating prior to boiling it. I thought the molasses flavor was too strong and there was something missing. Since other recipes call for 10 cups of popcorn rather than 14 for a similar amount of coating, I went ahead and added 50% more of each ingredient, using additional light corn syrup in place of the molasses, so the coating ended up containing 1/4 cup molasses and 1/2 cup corn syrup. I also added a pinch of cloves which gave it the gingerbread kick I thought it was missing. The adjusted amount of coating was just about perfect; I may add 15 cups popcorn instead if I make it again. Don't slack on stirring every 10 minutes, especially toward the end of baking...the coating will burn if you aren't dilligent.
Dec 27, 2010
I made 3 batches of this for Christmas this year - everyone loved it!
Dec 22, 2010
this is so awesome, I love the flavors and it reminds me of Cracker Jack carmel corn! the best.
Oct 23, 2010
So delicious! Wonderful gingerbread flavor and light, crunchy texture. I'll definitely be making this again.
Oct 20, 2010
Turns out perfectly every time! My husband couldn't believe that it was homemade!