- 3 pounds unpeeled butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 2 large unpeeled onions
- 1 small garlic bulb
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sprigs fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut squash into eight large pieces. Place cut side up in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut 1/4 in. off tops of onion and garlic bulbs (the end that comes to a closed point).
- Place cut side up in baking pans. Brush with oil; sprinkle with thyme. Cover tightly and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are very tender. Uncover and let stand until lukewarm.
- Remove peel from squash and onions; remove soft garlic from skins. In a large bowl, combine vegetables, broth and cream. Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Add parsley, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with thyme if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Butternut Squash Soup
Sort By :
While I liked the fact that the vegetables were roasted, I felt that the garlic just overpowered the soup. The soup was a beautiful color, and I was thrilled to use my new immersion blender. In order to make the soup more palatable to us, I added honey and nutmeg.
Awesome flavor, but thin consistency.
Very good and easy to make
A great autumn soup for those who don't like squash. We add a cinnamon teddy graham for garnish.
This was a great recipe. I didn't have enough garlic to add the extra, but it tasted good with just the small head of garlic. I garnished with bacon and chives, and it was delicious. I also melted about 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter in at the end.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Soup Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Squash Soup >
- Squash Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >