- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add beef, red pepper and onion; cook, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes; add zucchini. Continue simmering until vegetables are tender, another 20-25 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Butternut Goulash
"LOVED this! I did substitute the ground beef with ground turkey because I have one child that will not eat ground beef. Everyone really liked this dish and told me to keep the recipe! Winner in our house."