Buffalo Chili con Carne Recipe
- 1 pound cubed or coarsely ground buffalo meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 2 cups diced onion
- 1 to 2 cups diced green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Add onion and green pepper; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared without added salt) equals 2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 271 calories, 574 mg sodium, 27 mg cholesterol, 30 gm carbohydrate, 23 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
Reviews for Buffalo Chili con Carne
"My favorite chili recipe. <3"
"It has been a while since I made this but I remember only changing/adding a couple of things like leaving the green chilies out because I have young children. I remember it being very hearty, filling and tasty and the family enjoyed it! Yes, I'd make it again!"