I like meals that are simple to prepare, yet offer maximum taste. Served in hallowed-out rolls, this hearty chili offers extra zip with two kinds of meat, beans and jalapeno pepper. Sometimes I serve the chili in one large round bread loaf. —Tonya Burkhard, Davis, Illinois
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 hard rolls (about 4-1/2 inches), optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls or if desired, cut the top fourth off of each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread. Spoon chili into bread bowls. Serve with cubed bread,
- shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bread Bowl Chili in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p11
Reviews for Bread Bowl Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review