- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in the bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter in half. Add cocoa to half; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Reviews for Black-Bottom Banana Bars
"This is an awesome cake, been baking it for over 15 years and it's a family favorite. I brought it in to work today and everyone is going crazy over it, lol. It's a winner even after all these years!"
"It's didn't seem enough batter for a 13x9 pan so I used a 9x9 pan. I added 1/2 c chocolate chips to the top and 3 minutes more to the baking time. Delicious! Yes, more cake texture than brownie."
"Fluffy and so easy to make. My 2-yr-old daughter helped mix it all together and we enjoyed the results! ;) recommended for any quick snack cake"
"These are delightful. Very simple, but good. I wouldn't change a thing."
"This was a nice combination of chocolate and banana."