Black Bottom Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Stir in chips; set aside.
- For cupcakes, in a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, egg, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups half full with chocolate batter. Drop a heaping tablespoonful of cheese mixture in center of batter of each cupcake. Sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 174 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
These luscious cupcakes taste wonderful and are so moist!!
Sep 3, 2016
Amazing! Used namaste gluten free flour blend, and they turned out great. Didn't top with nuts.
Aug 12, 2016
Delicious!! My 9 year old daughter made these. She used cherry balsamic vinegar. Yum!! Also used light cream cheese, skipped the nuts and extra sugar. Will definitely keep in the rotation!!
Feb 19, 2015
These are great especially when warm and the choc chips are melted! Only thing I did differently was added vanilla to the cheesecake mix and I sprinkled raw sugar on the top of each cupcake. Highly recommend this recipe!
Aug 14, 2014
These were a hit! Took them to the cottage last weekend and everyone loved them and asked for the recipe! Will make these again!
Mar 19, 2014
My grandmother made these regularly, they've been a family favorite for years.
Dec 10, 2012
These are my husband's favorite. His mom would make these every year at Christmas.Excellent recipe.
Dec 17, 2011
I have made these cup cakes forever. My adult son gets them every year for his birthday. I always make them in a mini size and double the recipe for approx. 90 cakes or so.
Aug 31, 2011
Didn't use the nuts, but it was still great! A friend who doesn't like chocolate even loved them! lol Will definitely make again, since the gals at work were upset they didn't get more!
Aug 29, 2011
I got rave reviews when I made this for a bridal shower. Chocolate & cheesecake are a match made in heaven!