- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and bourbon. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the pecans, cherries and raisin mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies
Sort By :
"These are delicious. They taste like fruitcake (with a great balance of spices) but the texture is a lot more enjoyable! My only issue was that they are difficult to put on the baking sheet because they kept kind of crumbling and falling apart-- my suggestion for this is to cool the batter for 5-10 minutes before baking. The batch only made 20 cookies because I made them a little larger so if you don't want them as tiny as the picture, but want a bigger payoff for your efforts, double the recipe! I can't wait to see how they are rated in my holiday cook-off at work tomorrow!@Joscy- the candied cherries I got have 15g sugar and 23 total carbs for only 10 pieces!!! I would look at the label first and maybe substitute some sugar-free Craisins or something similar :)"
"Just asking....are these suitable ((with candied cherries??)) for folks with Type I diabetes? I noticed it has 16 grams of carbs (I consider that 1 (one) carb). Thank You!!"
"I dont like fruitcake at all, but my husband really likes it. I made these for a cookie exchange because I knew that he would enjoy the leftovers. As it turns out, these cookies are fantastic! They got rave reviews at the cookie exchange. The recipe name is definitely appropriate."