Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and bourbon. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the pecans, cherries and raisin mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies(4)
Sort By :
These are delicious. They taste like fruitcake (with a great balance of spices) but the texture is a lot more enjoyable! My only issue was that they are difficult to put on the baking sheet because they kept kind of crumbling and falling apart-- my suggestion for this is to cool the batter for 5-10 minutes before baking. The batch only made 20 cookies because I made them a little larger so if you don't want them as tiny as the picture, but want a bigger payoff for your efforts, double the recipe! I can't wait to see how they are rated in my holiday cook-off at work tomorrow!
@Joscy- the candied cherries I got have 15g sugar and 23 total carbs for only 10 pieces!!! I would look at the label first and maybe substitute some sugar-free Craisins or something similar :)
Just asking....are these suitable ((with candied cherries??)) for folks with Type I diabetes? I noticed it has 16 grams of carbs (I consider that 1 (one) carb). Thank You!!
I dont like fruitcake at all, but my husband really likes it. I made these for a cookie exchange because I knew that he would enjoy the leftovers. As it turns out, these cookies are fantastic! They got rave reviews at the cookie exchange. The recipe name is definitely appropriate.
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Cookies >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >