- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and bourbon. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the pecans, cherries and raisin mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies
"Excellent - we love these!"
"This is the recipe my Mom always used. I grind my fruit in a meat grinder because my family doesn't like big pieces. They are delicious Use raisins, cherries, chopped dates, and pineapple."
"Delicious. They tasted just like fruitcake. I also used the fruitcake mix from the store. It included citron which added the taste I associate with fruitcake. I will definitely make these again."
"Great!! Used candied cherry and pineapple mix and Apple juice,"
"Excellent! I didn't have raisins so I substituted Craisins instead. I also used the Fruit Cake mix that our grocery store had and they turned out wonderful! So much so, I went back to the grocery store to purchase more Fruit Cake Mix."