- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 slices hearty white bread (4 ounces), torn into large pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed and divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 block (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 block (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain and return to pan. Pulse bread, 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add ground mustard and cayenne; stir until blended. Stir in flour until smooth, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Velveeta. Slowly add remaining cheeses a handful at a time, stirring until cheese is melted. Add Worcestershire and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of casserole. Bake until topping is golden brown and sauce is bubbly, 10-12 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Best Ever Mac & Cheese
"I made this exactly as written except I omitted the topping. I didn't have any gluten free crackers on hand at the time. I liked how creamy the mac and cheese was, but I thought the onion was a little over-powering and we couldn't taste the cheese. It was a bit disappointing."
"I made this for the first time as a Thanksgiving side and everybody loved it! I'm typically not a big fan of mac & cheese but, for this I make an exception. I followed the recipe word for word except for ONE thing. Instead of using sharp cheddar I used New York Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese that I bought from my local Vons/Safeway/Pavilions. Everyone loved it, great and easy recipe. One last thing, don't forget the Worcestershire Sauce!"
"I'm on the hunt for a mac n' cheese recipe that everyone in the house likes. I made this to accompany dinner tonight. Overall it was okay. It would have been better if I remembered to stir in the last ingredient (worcestershire sauce)! That would have enhanced the flavor as ours was definitely lacking something. We will have to try it again and see if it becomes a winner in our home, right now it is 2nd place."
"I just received the latest issue of TOH, & this recipe caught my eye. I especially love the topping ideas-most in-particular the pork rinds! How fun! This will be on my Thanksgiving table this year."