Over-the-Top Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine Muenster, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, eggs, process cheese, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 585 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 28, 2019
I MADE THIS MAC 'N' CHEESE AND I RATE IT 1 STAR, IT WAS NOT CREAMY AT ALL, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. IT TASTED VERY GOOD BUT, IT WAS VERY LUMPY AND KINDA DRY.
Dec 19, 2018
The aroma and visual appeal will make you love it before you even taste it. Make sure you use large elbow macaroni. My very picky family ALL Loved this dish They tell me it’s hard to eat a different version. I cut my cheesed up the night before.
Nov 15, 2017
This is Patti LaBelles recipe and she should get credit for it.
Nov 24, 2016
This recipe is wonderful!!
Sep 12, 2016
I found the finished Mac & Cheese dish to be very dry. When I read the recipe, I could tell that it might be dry, so I increased the amount of half & half by half a cup and increased each cheese by a quarter of a cup. In spite of the increases, it was still dry. I also noted that salt and pepper were the only spices and that despite the variety of cheeses, the taste might be bland. So I added some cayenne pepper and a multiple herb & spice blend. Still, the flavor did not jump off the page at me. This recipe needs a serious overhaul. It's not the wost I've ever made but it certainly is a far cry from the best! If this were a family recipe of mine, I definately would not have posted it!
Dec 9, 2015
This is for Uldeno. You can substitute Provolone for the Munster, or just use more Monterey Jack. Either one works well as a a substitute for Munster. Hope that helps!
Dec 8, 2015
It sounds amazing. I love M&C..... BUT....Were I live we don't have Muenster cheese.What can I use instead?I live in Israel......
Dec 8, 2015
My grandchildren demand I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner - I add an additional egg and double all the cheeses though - also add more half & half - I baked it till it gets a little brown on top - this way it is crusty on top but dig in and it is so creamy then.
Apr 14, 2014
I didn't find this very creamy as is, either. Maybe using evaporated milk or regular milk instead of half-n-half would have made it creamier. This recipe needs a lot more seasoning as well. I watched my boyfriend sprinkle on the pepper quite a bit. :(
Oct 28, 2013
this is or was the best mack and cheese I have ever eaten.