- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable bag, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes. Return beef to pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry
"Yes, this recipe is a success! My version had bit of a chile pepper bite, not super hot, but noticeable, from one fresh red chile and a dash of Korean dry chile flakes. Since the beef and the vegetables are cooked separately, nothing was overdone.I notice in the comments that other people also used it as a jumping-off point for their own versions. Try any protein and vegetable combination, using the recipe to help calculate how much starch, soy sauce, and sugar to use."
"This was good and easy. I liked the slightly sweet flavor with the beef. I will make again. Good for a work night!"
"Nothing special but it was easy"
"This is a keeper... Easy to prepare, yet tasty."
"Nutritious and delicious! The sauce is very tasty.Easy to prepare!"
"Definitely a keeper. Super easy. Super tasty. The ginger and the brwon sugar really make this dish stand out."
"This beats Chinese takeout/ takeaway. I can feed my family for much cheaper by making this and we all love it!"
"An exceptional alternative to ordering out - have made it as written and also substituting boneless chicken breast and asparagus. Wonderful!!"
"quick, easy & delicious! Whole family loved it! I added carrots & used green onion!"