My family often requests this tasty stir-fry. It's great because it combines tender beef and nutritious vegetables in one dish. We enjoy it year-round but especially in summer, when I grow my own broccoli and onions. Plus, it doesn't heat up the kitchen. —Ruth Stahl Shepherd, Montana
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable bag, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes. Return beef to pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review