- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top round steak, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Remove 1/4 cup mixture to a large bowl; add beef and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil. Add half of the beef mixture; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with an additional 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef mixture.
- Stir-fry water chestnuts and green onions in remaining canola oil 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and remaining hoisin mixture; cook until spinach is wilted. Return beef to pan; heat through.
- Drain spaghetti; add to beef mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chili pepper. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef & Spinach Lo Mein
Sort By :
"My husband and I loved it! I didn't have any spinach so I substituted kale."
"YUM! Added baby corn."
"This was delicious and easy!! A win win in my book!! I substituted broccoli since I cannot eat spinach, and added a bit more crushed red pepper and hoisin sauce to satisfy our spicier preferences."
"I made this with whatever was on hand - chicken instead of beef, zucchini instead of spinach - it was enjoyed by all the family. I did increase the garlic and added minced ginger as recommended by others."
"Very good. I didn't find it bland at all, although the flavor was mild despite the red pepper flakes, garlic, and chili pepper. I did increase the amount of red pepper flakes and garlic."