Spaghetti Squash Lo Mein
My colorful Lo Mein is a lighter version of the classic Chinese dish that everyone at our table loves. Try it with a squirt of Sriracha. —Loanne Chiu, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage links or flavor of choice, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 2-1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce and Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce, optional
- Halve squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down; microwave on high until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Separate strands with a fork.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; saute sausage until browned, 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots and cabbage until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Add squash, sausage and remaining oil; toss and heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with soy sauce and chili sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 316 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as SQUASH LO MEIN in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.