Basil Baked Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a small skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from the heat.
- Cut tomatoes in half widthwise. Place cut side up in an 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with basil and pepper; top with bread crumb mixture. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are slightly softened. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Basil Baked Tomatoes(5)
Sort By :
I found this recipe in my 2012 TOH Annual Recipes and so decided to prepare them. Our neighbor gave me 11 tomatoes from their garden and this was a great time to prepare this recipe! I did adjust this recipe to suit my tastes. I used 8 of the tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 1/2 cup Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs, 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped & 1/4 tsp. ground pepper. I sauteed garlic in the olive oil in a small skillet until lightly browned, THEN added the bread crumbs and stirred in the chopped basil and the pepper. I cut the 8 tomatoes in half and placed cut-side up in a 9" square casserole dish, lightly greased. I then topped each tomato half with the crumb mixture. I added about 1/2 cup water in bottom of dish and I baked the tomatoes at 325o F. for 20 minutes. I shared 6 halves with our neighbor who gave me the tomatoes and I sampled the others-they're delicious! Thank you for this recipe! DELowenstein
The fresh basil just elevates this dish to something special. The guys who I shared this with didn't appreciate so much tomato, so maybe I could slice the tomatoes into 1" slices? I used dried whole wheat bread crumbs.
I think I'll try using 1/4 cup of bread crumbs next time instead of 1/2 a cup, but other than that this is a great recipe! It's the perfect side-dish for a formal meal!
Cooking the bread crumbs with the garlic and olive oil really kicks up the flavor. Very delicious!