Basil Corn & Tomato Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and condensed soup until blended. Stir in vegetables, bread crumbs, basil, salt and onion. Transfer mixture to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 131 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 28, 2017
Pretty dang good. Bumped up the heat with red pepper flakes and added evaporated milk, as it's a great thickening agent. Doubled the basil. Nice side dish!!
Dec 3, 2016
I really enjoyed it. Question though - do you think it would work to make ahead of time and freeze - just defrost and cook?
Oct 17, 2015
Apr 1, 2014
This is the best side dish I have ever had!!! I will be taking this to every potluck I go to and will use it at home often.
Jan 27, 2014
It was okay but not something I would make again.
Jan 2, 2014
Not as good as it looks
Dec 17, 2013
I thought this was very good. I took it to a potluck for local farmers and received many compliments. My family loved it as well. It was simple, yet delicious and filling.
Dec 6, 2013
I served this side dish for my church choir and women's circle...many compliments and requests for the recipe..
Sep 5, 2013
I always like this combination of vegetables. Maybe because I used frozen corn, this turned out a lot runnier than some similar recipes I have used.
Aug 28, 2013
I thought it was a nice presentation but not exciting flavor-wise.