- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"Such an amazing recipe!! Just made it and my mom and dad loved it and so did I! Very simple... a little lengthy process but totally worth it!"
"I love this site. It has awesome receipts that I can make for my family.... Sooooooo happy"
"super easy an so delicious"
"Thank you for such a marvelously easy bread recipe. Made this a couple of times. I use all whole wheat flour and it makes a bread that tastes pretty much exactly like Outback Steakhouse's bread. Helps with my diet because I try to cut preservatives and artificial ingredients out."
"Made this today and not only is the recipe super easy it turns out so delicious. A big hit in our house. Thank you for a wonderful bread recipe!"