- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"My first time, and it was perfect. Slices wonderful for sandwiches, and delicious. And myfamily loved it, they said more, more, more."
"Two loaves were gone in one day (family of 6). I've used other recipes, but this was hugely successful!"
"Delicious, very easy... we don't use sugar, we use honey instead, and it is just divine!! My loaf pans are slightly smaller, so I'm able to break this into 3 even loaves. I've made it twice already (6 loaves total) Never buying store bread again!!"
"I've always had issues making home made bread. This recipe has not let me down yet! The only thing I do differently is form the loaves by hand, make a few slashes at the top for decoration, and sprinkle a little corn meal on a greased cookie sheet. It makes the loaves come off the pan easier. These loaves go fast!"
"Absolutely the easiest and most delicious bread. Came out perfect the first time. OMG, my husband and kids had the first loaf down by the evening. Will be making this on a regular basis. I have had terrible success with my bread maker, although I will continue to try to find the perfect recipe for it."