- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
My bread didnt rise. I followed to the tee. :-[
Very simple recipe - I love that it only has 6 ingredients and uses all purpose flour. I did a cost analysis, and this recipe costs me less than buying store bought bread. It comes out to about $0.05 per slice, which is pretty cheap. And it really doesn't require much effort. It does take some time, but most of that is from rising and baking and I can still do other tasks while that's happening, so I think it's worth it. I'm definitely going to be using this as my go-to bread recipe from now on. My family loves it!
Huge hit with the family!!
easy enough for my kids to help! smells great baking and tastes wonderful! yummy!
The first two loaves I made were gone in less than two days. My kids were in love. Then I made two more and those were gone almost as fast. I have now made a total of 8 loaves and we stopped buying bread from the store. I cook it 30 mins, baste them with butter and then cook them 5 more minutes. Then I baste them again when I take them out. I didn't have canola oil so I just use vegetable and it's amazing!