- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"great recipe! My bread turned out perfect! I do beat my bread down twice though to get a more even mix. Also, in the recipe it says 3 cups and on the side of the recipe it says over 6 cups. The 6 cups is the correct one!! If you cant get your bread to rise, it's because you're missing over 3 cups of flour!!!"
"I use to have issues with my bread rIsing. It was due to the yeast not activating properly..now I have no issues at all...make sire your water temp is close to spot on usualy luke warm will do the trick."
"My bread didnt rise. I followed to the tee. :-["
"Very simple recipe - I love that it only has 6 ingredients and uses all purpose flour. I did a cost analysis, and this recipe costs me less than buying store bought bread. It comes out to about $0.05 per slice, which is pretty cheap. And it really doesn't require much effort. It does take some time, but most of that is from rising and baking and I can still do other tasks while that's happening, so I think it's worth it. I'm definitely going to be using this as my go-to bread recipe from now on. My family loves it!"