- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"Delicious! I used a heating pad to help the bread rise."
"Best bread i have ever made. Tastes amazing!! My family loves it. So simple to make and very little ingredients."
"This is way easy to make! I LOVE IT!"
"Excellent and easy bread recipe. I put water on the top of the bread when it comes out of the oven and wrap it in a towel to steam This creates a softer crust. Also, use 1/2 wheat to 1/2 white flour for a wheat bread."
"Very simple basic bread recipe. Also good for fry bread. After letting it rise and beating it down simply form into rounds and fry until crispy brown ."