For a real straight-from-the-chuckwagon beef meal, you can't rope a better recipe than this! This is the recipe I rely on when feeding a hungry group. The wonderfully tangy sauce is lip-smacking good.—Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Hot cooked noodles
- In Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil. Add 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours; drain.
- Combine the tomato paste, ketchup, garlic, brown sugar, onion, vinegar, mustard, salt and remaining water. Pour over ribs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Beef Short Ribs in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p9
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Barbecued Beef Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review