- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberries, 1 cup sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until berries begin to pop. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas. Fold in cranberry mixture and walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 14 muffins.
Reviews for Banana Cranberry Muffins
"I made these muffins tonight and they are delicious. Likely the best muffins I've ever made. Tonight's batch made 17 muffins because I didn't want the 14 running over the tins. I'm making another batch tomorrow and will only make 14. My friends all need to try these! Best recipe I've found to use up bananas and the cranberry tartness is wonderful. Bravo!"
"Great recipe. I modified as I always find muffins to sweet. I didn't cook the cranberries just added them in as is and used 1/2 instead of 2/3 cup sugar in the batter. Also used butter instead of shortening. They were perfect."
"very good recipe. will make again"
"These muffins are excellent. I left the nuts out. Made them into mini muffins. I will take some to a women's meeting where we each bring a snack to share."
"Yummy! I followed the recipe exactly but left out the nuts. Flavors play well together!"
"These muffins were tasty. I omitted the nuts, and saved the cranberry syrup drained from cranberries to make cranberry lemonade!"
"Great recipe! Followed the recipe exactly and these are the best muffins I have ever made! Simply delicious!"
"Yum! Love these muffins. I only had one egg so I used that and threw in an extra banana. Also used craisins because I didn't have fresh or frozen cranberries. Still turned out amazing!"
"Great recipe! I like to make healthier adjustments so I modified it by: a) replacing the 2/3 cups of sugar with splenda; b) adding 1/4 cup of oats; c) using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour; d) replacing 1/3 cup shortening w/ 1/6 cup of butter and a little more than 1/6 cup of unsweetened apple sauce; e) take away the walnuts. I baked it for about 20 - 21 minutes."
"Really good! Neither the banana or cranberry dominated the recipe, they worked well together! Thank you for sharing!!"