- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Spaghetti
"One of my very favorite recipes. Doesn't taste like spaghetti - when you say "spaghetti" people usually turn their nose up but not after they taste this dish. I leave out the olives"
"Made this for a work function and it was an odd recipe, but it was quite delicious. It was a hearty meal to feed a bunch of hungry guys. At first we were nervous when it was spaghetti with cream of mushroom soup, but the combo actually made a delicious topping."
"My husband and I really enjoyed this baked spaghetti. My only change I made was to leave out the olives because we aren't fans of them. Next time, to appeal more to the kids I will likely used crushed tomatoes instead of diced because they turned their noses up at the "tomato chunks", and be sure to dice up the peppers smaller than I did."
"Just made this dish, very tasty ?? I would not change a thing."
"Great recipe. I used 2 cans of 14 oz. Rotel tomatoes instead of the 28 oz can of diced tomatoes."
"This is the best baked spaghetti! It's great for the family and also perfect for making for others because everyone loves it. Something about it tastes better every time. We like it as the recipe is, but it's also good to mix sausage with the ground beef for a nice twist. Thanks so much for this favorite recipe!"
"This is THE ultimate comfort food. Anything baked spaghetti is always good!!"
"gad I love everything about the looks and sound of this, can't wait for a free night"
"Loved it, but used sausage instead of gr. meat."
"My husband liked this recipe but I didn't care that much for it. But I used canned spaghetti sauce and a can of mushrooms so maybe had I made it according to the recipe it would have been better. Don't know though as I doubt I'll try it again."