- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Spaghetti
Sort By :
"We found this to be bland and rather dry, especially with next day leftovers. It's a time consuming recipe, but it's just okay tasting and not worth the effort as is. I added 5 garlic cloves and some salt and pepper to the hamburger while cooking it, but that extra seasoning didn't go far enough to make this have real flavor. If you like plain food, then you'd like this. But if I were to make it again, I would use spaghetti sauce rather than diced tomatoes for sure. The casserole doesn't really have any sauce to it, and the shredded cheese disappears when you bake the casserole, leaving you with 2 layers of dry spaghetti noodles with some bits of diced tomato. There are other spaghetti casserole recipes I would try here before this one. It's really not that good."
"Like it very much, thank you"
"Good flavor, easy prep. Will make again."
"Really enjoyed this casserole. My only change was adding minced garlic to the vegetable mixture and using Golden Mushroom Soup. Thank you Ruth and Taste of Home for a family favorite."
"This was a big hit with my family. Since we don't like mushrooms, I substituted cream of celery soup for the cream of mushroom soup and added pepperoni. It was absolutely delightful!"