There is a standing joke between friends that whenever I'm asked to bring a dish to a party, it always contains bacon. My partner loves bacon-wrapped dates and my grandmother got me hooked on date-nut bread, so I made a sweet and salty combination of these recipes.—Terrie Gammon, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add green onions to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 1-2 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cayenne. In another bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup cheese, dates, bacon and green onions (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Bacon Date Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Bacon Date Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review