This recipe comes from my grandma, and it's one of my family's favorites—we love the combination of bacon, tomatoes and cheese. It's great for brunch at any time of year.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle bacon over the crust. Top with tomato and cheese. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sour cream, flour and salt until smooth. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into sour cream mixture; spread over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bacon-Cheese Puff Pie in Country February/March 1998, p49
Reviews for Bacon-Cheese Puff Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review