- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, milk and oil until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in apple and walnuts.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray on medium heat. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 6-10 minutes. Or, place a stack of three pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 18 pancakes.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Pancakes
Sort By :
"I used the advice of previous reviewers and shredded the apple, added apple pie spice and I subbed out the oil and used applesauce. These were okay with syrup but we don't normally use syrup so when we tasted them plain, they were very bland, heavy and had a thick flavor to them. Honestly, I won't make them again. I will, however, add the apples and walnuts to my own pancake batter because I love the idea of that!"
"Grr my favorite!!"
"This is a requested recipe for return guests at our B&B. I do not care for the texture of plain pancakes. The apples and nuts, both chopped fine, make these wonderful."
"I love the apples, but they should be shredded. I guess I'm just a regular pancake person. This was a little too sweet for my tastebuds, but I can see where this recipe would be perfect to serve to guests who enjoy sweets!"
"Great treat! I never even thought of apple pancakes until I saw this, it is delicious."