Apples and chicken may seem like an unusual combination, but they make a wonderful meal when grilled to perfection, The thyme marinade gives a boost of flavor and tenderizes the chicken nicely. —Peter Halferty of Corpus Christi, Texas
- 6 tablespoons apple juice
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Dip apples in reserved marinade; set aside. Combine honey with the remaining marinade.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meet thermometer reads 170°, basting frequently with the honey marinade.
- Grill apples, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes, basting and turning frequently or until lightly browned.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, thyme and apple juice until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice the grilled apples; stir into sauce. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple Thyme Chicken in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p39
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple Thyme Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review