- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place raisins in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, baking soda and ginger; add to creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with Hard Sauce (recipe also in Recipe Finder). Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Raisin Spice Cake
"I think I'd first try upping the amount of applesauce. Maybe 1 1/4 cups instead of 1 cup, for starters?"
"What would you do to tweak the recipe, since I missed the part about boiling the raisins? Like the teacher always said read directions FIRST :O).Thanks for your suggestions. pam"
"I have found if you boil raisins in a 1/2 c. of water and then drain them before adding them to a recipe it helps to make things moister. I do this when I make zucchini bread all the time.Pam"
"I thought that the cake turned out a little dry, but that's nothing that a little tweaking of the recipe can't fix. The hard sauce is excellent and should definitely be served with this cake. I added just a wee dribble of brandy to the sauce."
"Serving this cake with the hard sauce is a MUST! Delicious!"