"My great-grandmother created this recipe, and it has been passed down through our family," shares Cyndi Martin of Montgomery, Illinois. Cinnamon nicely spices the moist snack cake that's made with tart apples, crunchy nuts and other everyday ingredients.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Nut Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p41
Reviews for Apple-Nut Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2014
"This is delicious and very simple. I only had bleached flour, and pecans, no walnuts; it turned out great! Thank you!"