Appalachian Corn Bread Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and remaining oil. Stir in the corn, cheese, salsa, chives and reserved onion. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and top is lightly browned. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Appalachian Corn Bread(4)
Sort By :
I made this cornbread last night. I shared it with my 89 yr. old neighbor. He absolutely loved it. So did my husband, who is very finicky. I'm from the south and love a bit of sugar in the cornbread. This is amazingly tastier than a simple cornbread recipe and will be my "go to" for cornbread!!
This is an interesting corn bread recipe, very different.
Our family loves it. Great taste and a nice kick with the salsa.
Sounds like mexican cornbread. People in the South do not put sugar in their cornbread.