After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup(9)
Sort By :
This is the best recipe for that left over turkey carcass. Total comfort food. The only thing I do different is use a 1/2 cup of flour and it's still plenty thick enough for us.
Yum!!! This was such a wonderful comfort food, I'll make turkey's year round just to make this again. I did use about 2 Tbsp of chicken bouillon and that seemed just right. I froze the excess of turkey and broth (separately) so I can make another batch or half a batch later, but I think already made, this soup would probably freeze well.
very tasty! have made this the past 2 years, we all love it! added some greens (leftover kale) and substituted farro for the rice and 1/2 whole wheat/1/2 white flour.
also baked carcass at 400deg for 45 min. before boiling for extra flavor...
I have been making this soup since its publication in2001, it is simply the best. Now my daughter-in-law Thanksgiving dinner and makes sure she sends the carcass home with me.
Best turkey soup I have ever had. Even after leaving out the half n half.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >