"Trash Bag" Taco Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 3 envelopes taco seasoning
- 3 heads lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cans (4-1/4 ounces each) chopped or sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 package (16 ounces) corn chips
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) Catalina salad dressing
- 1 jar (12 ounces) salsa
- Brown beef; drain. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Cool. Toss with remaining ingredients in an extra-large resealable plastic bag or large container. Yield: 40-50 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for "Trash Bag" Taco Salad(18)
Sort By :
This is a great recipe despite the unusual name! In our house we have always called in "Texas Salad". We make ours without the beef. This allows for vegetarians to have a hearty alternative. This also looks beautiful to just layer salad in glass bowl until time to eat then add chips and toss in the bowl. Thanks to the crunchy chips, kids keep returning for seconds!
We make this once a month, and it is so easy . . . always a hit with everyone! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Get real folks, "I think everyone realizes you should not use a real trash bag . . ."
we do this at the office. we put the cooked, seasoned meat, beans, onions, and tomatoes together. After using half one day, we were able to store overnight and use again the next day. we just added the chips and lettuce and dressing as needed. hmmm, bet you could freeze it that way, too!
As some people mentioned below, if you choose to toss the salad in a plastic bag, it should be a food-safe bag, such as a 2 gallon resealable bag. An actual trash bag should not be used due to possible chemicals on the bag.
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
how funny, two of us posted on this at the same time, a year later. A person has to learn somewhere, we aren't born knowing everything, regardless of what Socrates says...
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Salad Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Main Dish Salad Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Salad Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Salad Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >