Zesty Orange Beef
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 dried hot chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beef in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onion and chilies. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, oil and garlic. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender, adding snow peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Stir in orange zest. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 310 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 20, 2019
Very good! We will make it again!! We substitute coconut amino acid for a healthier option to soy sauce- this would be great with cauliflower rice too!
Feb 26, 2018
This came out great and was super easy to make. It has a nice spice and a lot of well balanced flavor. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 29, 2016
Delicious. I used hot pepper flakes and sliced orange peel. At least double the sauce. I cooked veggies separately.