Zesty Orange Beef
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 dried hot chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beef in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onion and chilies. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, oil and garlic. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender, adding snow peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Stir in orange zest. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 310 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2018
This came out great and was super easy to make. It has a nice spice and a lot of well balanced flavor. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 29, 2016
Delicious. I used hot pepper flakes and sliced orange peel. At least double the sauce. I cooked veggies separately.