Zesty Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 251 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 19, 2014
Delicious! The stew beef comes out very tender and the pizza sauce provides extra kick. I added 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic.
Jun 8, 2013
Sorry, tried it twice. Really wanted it to work. Maybe I went too cheap on the beef? We genuinely enjoyed the barley.
Dec 10, 2011
I did add two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar to this and other than that, I thought it was the best beef stew that I've had.
Oct 29, 2010
This is amazing!!!! AWESOME!!!! I would rate it higher if I could!!!!