Savory Cranberry Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours 5 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces, optional
- 10 small onions
- 2 cups cranberry juice, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt if desired. Place half of the four mixture in large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture; set aside.
- Place beef in a Dutch oven. Add bacon if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Add onions, 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice, broth and seasonings. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and potatoes; bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine reserved flour mixture and remaining cranberry juice until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf. Add peas; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 321 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 meat.
Nov 1, 2019
I’ve been making this recipe for at least a decade. I used to receive a subscription to Taste of Home. It is a family favorite on chilly Autumn days. The bacon gives it a delicious boast. I made it in my Instant Pot. Put it on manual for 20 min then added the potatoes and carrots for about 9 min.