Winter Squash Squares
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1 cup canola oil
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in eggs, squash and oil; mix well. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, beat together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and butter. Add milk; stir until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 26, 2015
My mom has been making these squash squares out of the hardback cookbook for about 20 years. Since I have been moved out, about 7 years I have been making them as well. It's an amazing traditional dessert in our houses!
Mar 31, 2015
Good, very moist and cake like. I brought this to church and got lots of compliments. I baked mine in a cake pan for about 45 minutes and used butternut squash.
Sep 26, 2013
Nov 27, 2012
I made this as a cake. Really good
Sep 5, 2012
These were out of this world! I used butternut squash. Wonderful flavor; very moist and not too sweet. I used only 3/4 cup of oil and I baked them in a 9x13 baking dish for about 45 minutes. I don't like cream cheese frosting so I made a cinnamon vanilla powdered sugar glaze and drizzled on top. My family loved it!! Can't wait to make it again!
Oct 27, 2011
These are so flavorful and moist.They are so good and moist. I've shared them with neighbors. People are surprised when I tell them what is in them. I use butternut squash to make them.