Blueberry Zucchini Squares
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (do not pack)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine zucchini, buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice; toss to combine. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk 3-1/4 cups flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with zucchini mixture, mixing well after each addition. Toss blueberries with remaining flour; fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly (pan will be full). Bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth; spread over top. Let stand until set.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 16, 2019
So very good! The lemon zest add so much flavor. And so very moist. I used only 2 cups of sugar and put in a jelly roll pan. I didn't use buttermilk in the frosting; just regular milk. This a a keeper! SO glad I gave it a try.
Aug 25, 2019
May 5, 2019
Great recipe with lots of blueberries! I used 1 and 1/2 cups sugar. Followed the rest of the recipe but put it in a 9x13 pan and it came out beautiful. Left in oven about 45 minutes. Very moist!!
Jul 12, 2018
I too reduced the sugar to 2 cups, will do even less next time cause I love tartness. I wanted a Blueberry loaf and had extra zucchini so I turned this recipe into a regular loaf and two mini loaves. I put the glaze on while the loaves were very warm and it was wonderful!
May 12, 2018
I have made this twice. The only change was reducing the sugar to 2 Cups instead of the 2 1/2 Cups in the recipe. It worked just fine in a 15 x 10 x 1 pan each time. it was moist and I loved the lemon. Will definitely make these again!
Sep 12, 2017
I haven't tried this recipe yet..but it does sound great and I like the hints in the reviews...has anyone out there made this using Splenda ? I am a new Diabetic so I am always looking for recipes...thanks Denise
Aug 18, 2017
Outstanding - just became my father's all time favorite! After reading reviews I opted to make in a 9x13 pan for about 50 min. and it was perfect. Flavors were excellent. The next time I make it, I will apply the glaze over a warm cake instead of waiting for it to cool. Definitely a keeper!
Jul 30, 2017
Excellent cake. I didn't bother with the glaze since the cake was tasty all by itself. My only complaint is that the pan needs higher sides, mine oozed out in the oven. Should have read the other reviews first!
Jul 16, 2017
Excellent! Used an 11x17 pan for 30 minutes.
Jun 22, 2017
The cake and glaze were great. The pan size is VERY wrong. I will be cleaning my oven for the next few hours. When it is "Test Kitchen Approved" I thought that also would mean the size of the pan - wish I had read the reviews! I will make this again, but in a 9x13 pan and a longer cook time. I hope by giving this recipe 1 star it will help anyone trying this recipe for the first time.